Getting the Money You Need After the Wrongful Death of a Loved One

If you are looking for a lawyer after the death of a loved one because of the carelessness of a driver, or the negligence of an employer or a business, you have my heartfelt condolences for your loss. And you have my promise that I will do everything I can to help you get the compensation you need as you rebuild your life.

I’m Tupelo wrongful death lawyer Missy Wigginton. I represent everyday people throughout northeastern Mississippi, from Tupelo to Oxford to Corinth to Aberdeen. I have a long track record of successfully negotiating good settlements for my clients after a serious injury or the death of a loved one. I am dedicated to my clients and will do what it takes to help you get on solid financial footing after your loss.

Email me to schedule a consultation.

What is a “Wrongful Death”?

When someone dies because of the negligent or careless actions of another, or because someone intended them harm, that is a wrongful death. Family members may be able to receive compensation for the loss of their loved one. Examples of wrongful deaths include:

  • A fatal car accident caused by someone drinking and driving, or driving while texting
  • A fatal trucking accident caused by a poorly maintained vehicle or a driver falling asleep at the wheel because he drove too many hours
  • A fall down the stairs or from a balcony because of poor maintenance
  • A fall at a construction site because of careless actions of a subcontractor
  • An employee dying on a jobsite from exposure to a toxic chemical because he had not been provided with proper safety equipment or training
  • Medical malpractice when a nurse gives the wrong dose of a medication

Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim?

Even though the death of your loved one is very unfair and you may be feeling great grief and anger at this time, the only people who can bring a lawsuit for wrongful death are those who had a close relationship and a financial relationship with the deceased.

A wrongful death claim can be brought against the person or company by a spouse and by under-age children for the loss of support. It could be brought by the parent of an adult child if the parent relied upon income from the adult child.

What about children or elderly family members who are not financial contributors? These people are still valuable members of your family and you can still bring a claim for compensation, though you are likely to receive a smaller award.

What Kind of Compensation Can You Receive?

The amount of money a family may receive will be based on several different things, including:

  • Your loved one’s earnings at the time of death and his/her anticipated earnings in the future
  • The value of the services he or she provided to your household (parental guidance, spousal affection)
  • The medical expenses that resulted from the fatal injury, and in some cases compensation for the person’s pain and suffering
  • Funeral expenses

Legal Help to Get the Money You Deserve

Most personal injury and wrongful death cases are settled through negotiations. I handle all negotiations for my clients so that you don’t have to deal with an insurance company or an employer. I gather all accident reports, medical records, and bills. I will establish proof of lost wages and future income. I handle all the details so you can focus on putting your life back together.

Sometimes a case needs to go to court for a jury trial in order to get the family the financial support they truly need and deserve. If that should be the situation for your family, you can have confidence that an experienced trial attorney fight hard to get your family the compensation that is needed and deserved.

Contact a Tupelo Wrongful Death Lawyer

Call 662-214-9815 to talk to me about your situation. I’ll listen carefully and give you my honest opinion about whether you can bring a wrongful death claim. Or contact me online to schedule a phone call, a Skype call, or face-to-face meeting.